If you follow me on Instagram, you know that my husband and I drink a green smoothie every morning. I used to add a handful of spinach to whatever smoothie I was making. This is a great thing to do but if you want to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet then this smoothie is the way to go. Ours is based off of Kimberly Synder’s Glowing Green Smoothie (you can find the original recipe here).
Why is this the best green smoothie recipe? Because of the way it digests! Without getting overly technical, each food group digests differently and takes varying amounts of time to make it’s way through our digestive tract. Fruit and vegetables are very easy for our body to digest so it doesn’t require much time or energy on our body’s part.
This smoothie is optimized for digestion because it doesn’t mix the fruits and veggies with heavy proteins and complex carbohydrates (ex: protein powders, dairy, etc.). Can you add a handful of spinach to your fave smoothie? Of course. But if you want the full fledged benefits of having a green smoothie then this recipe is for you 😉
The Best Green Smoothie Recipe
- A good quality blender I personally use a Ninja but the goal is not to be using a $20 blender from Walmart – we want a smoothie not a chunkie 😉
- A cutting board
- A sharp knife
- 1 bag spinach or mixed greens switch up your greens according to season and preference
- 16-24 oz filtered water
- 1 stalk celery
- 2 apples red or green
- 1 banana
- 1 lemon
- Wash your apples and celery. There are three ways you can do this: Level 1: rinse your apples and celeryLevel 2: use a produce washLevel 3: make your own produce wash using a pump or two of doterra onguard foaming hand wash and 1-2 drops of doterra lemon essential oil for added cleansing. Mix with water and let your apples and celery soak while completing step 2.
- Combine 1 bag of spinach or mixed greens with 16-24 ounces of water. Blend thoroughly.
- Chop your celery and apple into chunks. Add to blender. Blend thoroughly.
- Cut lemon in half and extract juice using a handheld juicer. Peel banana(s) and add to blender. Blend thoroughly.
- Pour into your container(s) of choice. Store in the fridge.
- ENJOY!And then enjoy a few hours later when it’s time to use the bathroom….you’ll thank me later 🙂
To answer the top two questions I receive about this smoothie:
- Yes, it tastes good! But if you are not used to consuming fruits and veggies it might take a few days for you to really get on board. If it is not sweet enough for you, try adding more banana and use red apples.
- This smoothie will not have you running to the bathroom. It will help regulate when you go and make it easier to go but it does not have a laxative type effect.
Do you drink a morning smoothie? Share your recipe below! I’d love to see everyone’s ideas 🙂